Friday, August 21, 2009

Ministry in the Mundane


"Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many." ~Matthew 20:28




THE MUNDANE


The mundane. The practical, ordinary, even commonplace things of life. But certainly not the transitory. I am continually impressed with the thought that we live for and serve the Lord in the mundane.


The girls and I were studying today in John 15 that just before Jesus left His disciples His final words were about love. Love that is evidenced by 1. Obedience to God's commands and 2. Love to one another.


"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other. ~John 15:9-17


And we know what love is. God has told us. In addition to love being obedience to God (John 15:14): "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud." ~1 Corinthians 13:4


Patience. Kindness. Humility. The in and out and everyday little things. Mundane, but not temporal. This is the fruit that will last (John 15:16).


We serve Him in the big things only if we have first learned to serve Him in the small things. We don't live for ourselves day in and day out and then become martyrs when the pressure is on. No. We are faithful in the little things first. It's the mundane- the small daily acts of love and service within the home that make up the bulk of our lives. It is in these small things that we take up our cross- the instrument of death- to die to ourselves and live to Christ on a daily basis.


GOLDEN OPPORTUNITIES


Lately when I think of the mundane tasks I perform, I truly see them as golden opportunities.


It is mundane to patiently guide a child to their Savior when they are struggling~ again with the same thing they have been struggling with all day... all week... all month. Our flesh would love to look the other way at times. Oh, but this is what we were made for! These are the precious, golden opportunities of life.

"These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates." ~Deuteronomy 6:6-9

It is mundane to keep house and cook. Have you heard this statistic?

"Americans are actually spending a good deal more time watching television about cooking than cooking. The average household does only about 27 minutes of cooking a day*." ~Al Mohler, "Lost Art of Great Cooking."

And yet, nothing is quite as human as our daily need for nourishing food. Nothing quite says I love you like making someone's favorite comfort food and dishing it up with care.


It is mundane to fill a sippy cup with water or help a little one reach something they cannot reach.

"If anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." ~Matthew 10:43


It is mundane to clean up after little ones. To daily wash hands and feet.

"If then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet." ~John 13:12

It is mundane just to turn our hearts wholly to our families rather than to pursue our own interests.

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." ~Philippians 2:3-4

May God richly bless you as you live for Him in the precious, golden opportunities of each day (cleverly disguised as the mundane).



Blessings,




_________________

postscript: To those I owe e-mails~ please accept my sincere apology. I usually respond after the little ones are in bed at night and I am trying to respond to homeschool inquiries right now, as those have a time constraint. Thank you for your patience. I love hearing from you! : )

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post, Rebecca. I love to remember that serving my little ones is indeed serving Jesus. What an honour!!!
    Saminda xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to hear that tonight! I so enjoy your blog. May the Lord bless you abundantly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laying myself bare here a little - I have been complaining a bit to the Lord about this very issue... Thank-you for the timely reminder that it is the daily, mundane chores DONE WELL over and over again that brings glory to our Heavenly Father! I pray the Lord helps me to not only display this in my own life, but also to pass that onto my children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful, "truthful", encouraging post! Thank you for this reminder today Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankful that His Word can refresh us. It is a lamp unto our feet, isn't it?


    And thank you for sharing your hearts here. We need to spur one another on to love and good deeds until Christ returns.


    You bless.

    Love,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, Rebecca! I was reading another blog as she starting raving about an incredible homeschool mom to five and linked to a blog entry. I clicked over and here I wound up! I love how your sweet words are making the rounds to minister to others!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are both so kind.

    Thanks Lis'.

    Love you!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebecca, thank you for making the time to share your experiences and your love for the Lord. I know you have been a blessing to many and especially to my daughter who is in the midst of a lot of mundane with her little ones. A lot of very important lessons are being taught here. I wish I could've had your insight when I raised my girls. I'm just so pleased that they follow the Lord as you are.
    Keep up the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Sandy.

    May God bless you. : )

    Love,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rebecca! So good, so true. Thank you for the edifying post.

    I'm so happy you're in the Body of Christ! So wonderful to think about how God saved you and your hubby back at MBF. Soon the front rows were filled with your family and friends =D.


    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet memories Cathy. Love it.

    With little ones it's been a while since we've been in the front row. : )


    Love you!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for pointing out the obvious in a way that is beautifully written and so true. I will approach my daily tasks differently tomorrow as I remember the eternal reasons I'm doing all of this (parenting, homeschooling, etc.) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this refreshing post. Thank you! I needed to read that tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love this post. Thank you. Now off to fold the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the reminder... I have six children and there are frustrating moments... I love connecting filling the sippy cup - to giving a cup of cold water...Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete