Wednesday, May 29, 2013

WHO ARE WE TRUSTING?





Growing lavender has made us friends with local honey bees.  By the door a bucket of flip flops
seems to work best.  A tiny wading pool for little people and filled water balloons.
Hailey enjoying her handed down trike. 





Do you ever have a hard time singing the words of a song in good conscience?  I do.  Primarily Christian songs that say I will do this or I won't do that.  Maybe I am just too acquainted with my own flesh to believe that I will do anything good or refrain from anything bad without God helping me.  

This week as we begin to wrap up the book of Matthew, we noticed a couple of examples in which people were so sure they would do this or would not do that.   

The chief priests, scribes and elders who planned to kill Jesus said they would not take Him during Passover.  They specifically said, "Not during the feast lest there be an uproar among the people" Matthew 26:3.  The only problem with that resolution was, this was God's appointed time.  So within two days, they took Christ- right during Passover.  

That same night, Peter contradicted Christ directly, declaring that he would not be scattered when the Shepherd was struck.  He seemed pretty confident when he stated, "Even if all are made to stumble because of You, I will never be made to stumble" Matthew 26:33.  But then, of course, he did.

How confident we can be in the flesh.  And how very wrong we can be in trusting ourselves.  

Jesus tells the three disciples with Him to "Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation.  The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak"  Matthew 26:41.

Do we know the truth of that verse?    

So many times we have lists of things we will or will not do.  Or we fear what someone else will or will not do.  I find myself often returning to Psalm 127:1-2:


Unless the Lord builds the house,
    those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
    the watchman stays awake in vain.



As we plan our summer activities and I review the many books and character lessons I want to cover with our little ones- I am reminded that it is God I must seek.  I find myself praying that He will work in these little hearts and that He will build the house.

He is the builder we need.  


Love to you,







No comments:

Post a Comment