Friday, April 17, 2009

The Lord is my Shepherd

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:


he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:


He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.


Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."


~Psalm 23:1


I love the 23rd Psalm. While we do not know when David wrote this psalm, I imagine young David all alone in the fields shepherding his father's sheep; his heart swollen in gratitude to God as he sees how God is his shepherd, caring for his every need.

This week as I mowed the lawn, I began to think about this psalm. It's recounting in our own lives not only brings contentedness, but induces praise! God has been so very good and kind to us.


I SHALL NOT WANT
We had shared with you a few months ago that my husband's wages had been reduced somewhat significantly. It was part of a company wide cut back that included laying off several employees. When the dust settled we were surprised to realize that none of the Christians in the shop had been laid off even though some of them were newer hires. Tom's employer is not a Christian.


HE LEADETH ME BESIDE STILL WATERS
After the initial shock of the news, I found myself quieted. Although we did not have any extra money in the budget to cut, it has always been God who has been our miraculous provider. He would certainly provide all that we needed.


HE RESTORETH MY SOUL
And provide He did. People began praying for us. Some saints that had won beef through a drawing gave a portion to us and filled our freezer! Our deacons, concerned with the price of fuel, gave us a gas card. And more. We not only felt provided for, we felt loved and refreshed.


MY CUP RUNNETH OVER
Well, I certainly could not fail to tell you how God has answered our prayers. After only a couple of months of significant leanness, Tom's employer decided to restore his wages to him in full. Let me type that one more time. Tom's employer decided to restore his wages to him in full.

When my husband told me that his employer had decided to return his pay I was shocked. I mean who gives a pay cut and then restores it? In this economy? God does. I waited to see the actual pay check to believe it. And it was true.


SURELY GOODNESS AND MERCY SHALL FOLLOW ME ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE
God holds the king's heart... and the employers heart. He can turn things any way He wishes.

Thank you so much for your prayers. And for the love out poured to us that has been used by God to preserve and encourage us through trial.



We are still praying for each of you that wrote to us by name. We would love to hear more about what God is doing in your lives.

Jesus said:

"I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine." ~John 10:11-13



Blessings to you!
Rebecca


_________________________
Photos: Easter Sunday. Uncle, Auntie and cousins pictured. Listening to Uncle Ted share from God's Word which was followed by a hands on Resurrection Egg lesson for the kids. The girls Easter dresses have been working for 3 years! We only needed to borrow cousin's for Sarah. Reminds me of the Israelites in the wilderness. It's amazing how things can stretch at times. : )

10 comments:

  1. Amanda in AustraliaApril 17, 2009 at 3:23 AM

    The Lord has bought the 23rd Psalm to my heart often these past few weeks! I wanted to quickly comment and apologise for not yet updating you. He has worked miracles for us and I am constantly amazed by His goodness. Thank-you for your prayers and for taking the time to share with us through your blog. May God continue to show His grace, mercy and love to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I must say the dresses look beautiful. One of my first thoughts was how nice they all looked in their Easter attire. I am a SAHM mom, my husband is a teacher, and we have four kids (8, 5, 2, 8 mos). Our cup always runneth over on clothing. I hear others that do not seem to "get" the clothes we do and I am amazed. We always have givers or I find bargains via Goodwill, resale shops, & clearance sales. We rarely have a need other than shoes and many times that is met. Really it is always met!!! God provides! We live on $34K a year with 6 in the house. Imagine what we could do with a 3 figure income! :) I feel blessed and others are in awe of how we make it. We don't MAKE it, God MAKES it! Most people gawk and say, "and on a teacher's salary". They do not understand it is worth the summer and breaks off alone to live on a "teacher's salary". I grew up with my daddy working shift work and I rarely saw him. I never wanted that life... even with all the money it came with.

    Hmmm, I have written a mini-blog here... LOL! I am gonna head on over and add this to my posts for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come visit my blog, if you get a chance. You inspired me to share some things that I do not think to share. Shannon @ www.littlethingstx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God! That is wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing testimony! We're excited for you and I'm thanking the Lord for His faithfulness in providing for your family. Yee haw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...God IS good - it's so funny when we think back to the beginning of the "trial"...and I always wonder WHY did I ever worry or doubt?? He's never let us down before!

    Anyways, what a blessing to have your hubby's wages restored in full. Wow!

    Adorable pics. too btw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your sweet comments and updates ladies.

    God is so good.

    You bless.

    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praise God! What a wonderful provision all the way around.

    I had my baby last week and am now recovering at home from my c-section. I hope to post some pictures on my blog soon...just taking a brief break to get to know my new little blessing:-)

    Lots of love,
    Sommer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sommer, how wonderful!


    I will love to see pictures of your new little one!


    Blessings to you!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love love love your blog!!!!! You have such a gracious heart for your family. i posted an award for you on my blog.

    http://toomanykidsinthebathtub.blogspot.com/2009/04/my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete